Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Famous Local Natives: AUSTIN BRIGGS

When I was growing up, my mother would sometimes mischieviously refer to my father as "Flash", or "Flash Gordon". Upon questioning them about this, I learned it was a nickname my Dad had picked up many years ago as a young man. At that time, Flash Gordon was a popular movie serial, as well as a newspaper comic strip, one of the 'funnies' as my Dad would say. I recently learned that an area native was closely linked to Dad's moniker.

Austin Briggs (listed here and here as having been "...born in Humboldt, Minnesota"), was apparently a native of our area who later moved and grew up in Detroit, moving as an adult to New York City to pursue illustration art*. It was here where he eventually met and began working with Flash Gordon's creator, Alex Raymond. According to Comiclopedia, he created the daily Flash (uncredited), and drew Secret Agent X-9.

My Dad loved the funnies, and passed that love onto me. Interesting that there is another connection from back home...

* He was well thought of as an illustrative artist by many...

No comments:

Post a Comment