Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Gamble Letter #8


St. Vincent
August 31 [1880]

Dear father & Mother I now take up my pen to write you a few lines to you hoping to find yous all well at present the only reason that we did not write before this we have been so busy putting up hay we got about forty tons up it is worth 2 dollers a ton Alick is still Watchman at the station and little Alick is running the steam engine that fills the tank where the engins gets there water at the round house he works half a day every day and he gets twenty dollers a month it has been very wet this last while we have splendid potatoes every one as big as a boul there is nothing particular hear at present be sure and not be as long in writing as us I suppose if we would not write yous wouldnt ether the children all goes to Sunday School the baby can walk I am sending you too papers to yous you will see the election* in emerson I will not be so long in writing to yous the next time so yous must forgive me this time the children send there kind love to all No more At present from your daughter and grandchildren

Mary Ann

Would yous have any Nataion of coming up heare this fall Maggie could do better hear than there you ought to let her come for her own sake I would do the same by her as I would do to my own lizzy could be married any day she would say so but she is to young yet


* This is probably referring to the election that made Thomas Carney, one of Emerson's founders, a provincial representative as outlined here...

No comments:

Post a Comment