Monday, April 24, 2006

St. Vincent Crime: The Postmaster & The Decoy

Railway Mail Service workersAlthough I can't find the website where I first stumbled across this story for the life of me (I am still trying to relocate it, come heck or high water...!), I will still share it with you all, because I know I'm not dreaming I saw this...

In the 1880's, someone was creating mischief with the local mail in St. Vincent/Pembina. A postal inspector was called in, and he decided to test the waters by sending a 'decoy letter' with marked bills in it, from St. Paul. Sure enough, the letter never made it to the destination.

The inspector arrived in St. Vincent to follow up, and while having a friendly drink in a local saloon, the postmaster bought him a round. That's where he made a mistake. The inspector recognized the marked bills, and that...was the end of that...!

Alas, I do not know who the postmaster was at the time. Another mystery to solve...

No comments:

Post a Comment