Saturday, June 03, 2006

Gamble Letter #23

It's now the end of 1883, and the Gambles have come a long way since they arrived in the area in 1878. They've worked long and hard to get to where they are now.

In the letter below, Mary Ann expresses her concern over the family they left behind; she also mentions in passing someone named Joseph [I assume another family member], resentment and disapproval apparent in her comments.

But in the end, the letter overall is one of pride and hope. They have earned the deed to their land, they are very busy due to their success, and they talk of the future of their children...
St. Vincent
December 9, 1883


Dear Maggy I received your letter last week and I am sorry to hear that you are not so well I think if you had a change away from there you would get better its very wrong for you to be fretting all the time and if your mother knew it she would not rest so you ought to try and go out more and it would take your mind off thinking so much if all is well coming spring I will send money to take you here to see us it would do you good you could stay for a month or too and I would send you back I would not want you away from your father We are all well but my self I have a pain in my side all the time I have not done any work all summer worth speaking of but I am in hopes of getting better the wether is nice there is hardly any snow we got our deed for the land all right we were Just in time for the government enspectoers was around seeing what improvements people had made and there is some wount get there deeds it cost us about four hundred and fifty dollers for by what we gave the man that had it first land is getting so scarse we thought it a pity to loose it it is such a good place and worth a lot of money we entend it for Alick paying for it has left us a little bare Just now but we are not in debt all that troubles me that I cant help my father if I had it in my power you nor him would never have to weave another peice for one in thorah try and keep up your heart for your troubles is worse on me than my own thinking about yours if Joseph would send my father what he owes him it would fit him better than going pleasure hunting but he never did care for any one but himself We have seven cows to salve in the spring we have 8 to years old and seven one year olds and a teem of mules and a teem of coalts and pigs So they make lots of work they eat a lot of hay through the winter there is nothing very particlur here at present they are going to have a Christmas tree in the shool house for the children They think they will have a good time the children would like to have you here with them they all join in sending their kind love to you and their grandfather so good by for the present Write soon
Mary Ann Gamble

No comments:

Post a Comment