Sunday, November 12, 2006

Gamble Letter #35

In this edition of the Gamble Letters, you'll read about how Alice is feeling a bit overwhelmed by the sheer volume of work just to keep the basics together. I have an impression that many people assume our ancestors were this cheerful and stoic people (well, at least the stoic part...!) I personally think that couldn't be further from the truth. I think she did what they had to do, because they had to do it, not because they wanted to do it, and they plenty of times vented about it as any of us would do...
St. Vincent, Minn
June 13th, 1895


Dear Maggie,

I received your letter alwright some time ago and were sorry to hear Grandpa is getting no better. I think it must be very hard for you taking care of him without anyone else to help you. We were very scarce of water for a while this summer but we are having almost to much rain now. There one prosects of a good crop. The garden stuff is doing pretty well. We have quite a good garden this year. The babies are all doing nicely. Aleck called his little boy
William Harold. Little Maggie is a sweet little thing and Alice, Liaze second little girl looks an awful lot like Willie. Jennies baby has red hair. I am kept petty busy this summer I have four cows to milk, besides doing all the cooking and my own sewing. I hate to cook I think it is the meanest job ever was. Ellen cannot cook the least bit - she could not make a pancake. I never have time to go scarcely any place, it is all I can do to get time for all the work I have to do. I have not many flowers this year.

I think I will have to stop writing now as I have to get the supper. So hoping this will find you well, I remain as ever, your loving niece.

Alice Gamble

I am a horrid scribbler - write soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment