Thursday, May 15, 2008

Emerson Story: Doris Smith

I came across a blog the other day where a young Manitoban mother recalled her grandmother from Emerson...it's funny how a simple quiet life can speak volumes, isn't it?
____________________

My Grandma Doris Smith passed away when I was 7 years old. Before I was married, I just remembered her smiling face, but since I've had a family of my own, I find that I think of her often. She was a farmer's wife in Emerson, Manitoba, Canada. Most of her life was spent in the kitchen preparing food for her husband and three growing boys. My dad said her routine would consist of getting up early and making a homemade breakfast for the family. After sending them off to work and school, she would begin making a big lunch for her husband who was working hard out in the barn and in the fields. She would take lunch to the crops where my grandpa was working and upon returning, she would begin preparing dinner for her family...

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Would your grandmother's maiden name be Anderson? I'm looking for a Doris Smith Anderson who was a sister to Aradine Anderson Dulake. I am helping someone with their genealogy and this is her family.

    Thanks,
    LRadecki@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother was Doris McClelland married to Gordon Smith. Sorry I can't help! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete