Saturday, June 14, 2008

Chaska to Hudson's Bay in Seven Weeks

I'm slow in coming to the story folks, but I'm amazed at what I have learned now that I have. Two young men, just out of high school, have recreated a journey done in 14 weeks in 1930, in half that time.

A few weeks ago they were on the Red River of the North as part of the journey, paddling right past Pembina and St. Vincent.

As I write this, they are about to achieve their goal. Of course, journeys like this were done as a matter of course once upon a time, in our neck of the woods, as part and parcel of the fur trade. And they've been done since 1930.

But still, it's damned interesting to read of two modern young men doing it again, and about what they've discovered about themselves. They will never forget this for the rest of their lives...

No comments:

Post a Comment