Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Visit Home

How to get in and out of Lancaster - Photo by Mike HaubrichRecently, Hallock expatriate Mike Haubrich visited back home and had this to share...
I was up visiting my dad last week in Hallock, Minnesota. The county seat of Kittson County is in the far northwestern corner of the state. With a population of 1200 people, it is not a big town. It is, at that, still the biggest town in the county. I grew up in Hallock, but my parents’ roots are in a far smaller town. Orleans is 10 miles north and, during its heyday, peaked at some fifty people.

Fifty people is not a large enough group around which to build a full social circle. My parents had friends and family in both Humboldt to the west and Lancaster to the east. While I was growing up, my grandparents lived in Lancaster.

Read the rest of the story here...

1 comment: